|A hint at the culture at Penn?|
|So are smart drinkers "scientists" then?|
And here's my room:
|Yay for the single. Most people have at least one roommate.|
So then I went and got my bank account set up (Wells Fargo) and a new SIM card (T-Mobile: $50/month, unlimited talk/text in the US & 500MB 4G data). I was going to make a trip to Target to get necessities like bedding, toiletries and cooking equipment, but then it started raining so I got lazy (since it was a 1.5 hour walk or 45 min bus ride away). Instead, I bought most of the things I needed at CVS Pharmacy (it was much closer) and decided that I could go without bedding for a night since my room's got heating anyway. Holding out for the Target trip organised for exchange students tomorrow.
Today also felt a bit fuzzy and slow due to tiredness from travelling/sleep deprivation, so I'm hoping I'll be more awake tomorrow.
Some more pictures from around campus:
|I just got told that people pee on this bench. DO NOT sit on it!!!|
What went well:
- It wasn't nearly as cold today as it was last night. It was about 16°C during the day.
- It only started to really pour down when I was about 3 minutes away from my college house.
- Managed to connect to the university's wifi with no trouble on my phone (will figure out how to get my laptop connected soon…)
What did I learn?
- My boots are really, really not waterproof! Hence, I'm going to buy a pair of (vegan) Doc Marten's tomorrow. I've heard good things about these shoes.
- I feel really vulnerable without internet/mobile data in a new city. It felt so good getting connected again at T-Mobile, because there's a certain security of having Google Maps always at hand.
- I need to get a unit-converting app for my phone. People still talk in Farenheits and imperial units over here!
- I'm not really sure what to do when I'm directly asked by a person for money. This happened twice to me - once outside a corner shop, and once inside CVS. Normally, I would give when directly asked, but just judging by the number of times I was asked today, it looks like it would be a daily occurrence? At a loss. That's two marks against my "kindness manifesto"...
- They don't include tax in the prices here, so it only appears on the final bill (8%). Totally weird.
- It pays to pack an umbrella/rain jacket, just in case it is raining the first day you get to a new place. Woops.
- If you're planning on buying a lot of stuff, bring a better shopping bag. The plastic ones from CVS were super-flimsy and one broke as I was walking back (holding about 6 bags, with more stuff in my backpack).
- Don't wander around after dark. I don't mean to scare my parents (who are reading this), but I'm pretty sure I just heard a gun shot.........#staysafe