Monday 17 February 2014

Day 39: Eventful Mondays

What went well? 

  1. Intro Buddhism lecture. I think this was possibly one of his best yet. So mindblowingly profound and absolutely engaging.
  2. Registered for the Mindfulness in Education Network conference in March in DC. Really looking forward to it.
  3. Met up with my friend and we decided on the dates for our Spring Break trip. So far it's looking like 10th-14th March, and Washington DC, somewhere in Virginia, and Durham, North Carolina. We were going to do a road trip but it looks like buses will be MUCH cheaper (and probably safer) than hiring a car.
  4. A random student was giving out free hugs on Locust Walk. I got one, and it was awesome. He wasn't affiliated with any group; he just wanted to make people happy...nawwww!! :)



What did I learn? 

  • Buddhists don't believe that "all is suffering", no matter how many times you see it on the internet or wherever. It's a common misconception of Buddhism. Actually, Buddhists don't believe that there is an inherent or essential quality to anything. Instead, the First Noble Truth reads as "Sabbam Idam Dukkham", where "Idam" means "this". All "this" is suffering, not all is suffering. And "this" is all that you misperceive and are ignorant of: Anicca (impermanence), Anatta (non-self), Dukkha (existential trauma).
  • Google Books is an extremely useful tool. I've been preparing for my intro Buddhism mid-term, and wishing that I had my textbook in ebook format so that I could search for terms in it because the glossary is shit. Never fear, Google Books is here! It completely solved the problem - I can search for terms within the book and it shows me the snippet of what page it's on, so that I can then look it up in my physical textbook. Thanks, Google Books!
  • This is happening at Stouffer this week. I laughed.


No comments:

Post a Comment