Thursday 3 April 2014

Day 84: How fast can I write this post?

Today was the first time I very nearly forgot to write this blog. I need to sleep! But habit kicked in, so super-briefly:

What went well? 

  1. Someone found my lost key and handed it into the guard box. Such a relief as it meant I didn't have to backtrace my steps and search the library carrels to see if it had fallen out of my bag somewhere. And also, that I didn't have to pay for a lock change. All's well that ends well.
  2. My class presentation on my mindfulness & positive education paper progress went really well. I really love and feel alive when presenting and teaching, so definitely look forward to doing more of that in my future career.
  3. Read a few really useful sources for my mindfulness & positive education paper. It's definitely on a roll now, and hopefully I can terminate research by Saturday and start writing and have a first draft down by next Sunday.

What did I learn? 
  • Varsity students athletes have a pretty shit life. It's everything stressful about Penn amplified to the max. Today's Duckworth lab meeting was basically an informal conversation about mental health in student athletes & what can be done, and some lab members had experience as student athletes, and one said that she would only shower about once a week because a shower takes 20 minutes and she would only get about 3 hours of sleep because of all the practice and travel...and people hoped that they would break an ankle or something to get out of practice...sports was their only source of identity and pride, and that was basically why they did it. It was really disturbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment