Sunday 16 March 2014

Day 66: Crash

The past couple of days of bad sleep + coffee caught up to me today, and I was extremely unproductive this morning, then crashed and napped for over an hour this afternoon. But managed to nearly finish editing my mid-term due tomorrow, and will do the final adjustments tomorrow morning.

What went well?

  1. My laptop charger died. But I bumped into a friend who lent me his charger, then because I mentioned it on Facebook, another friend sold me her charger which she no longer needed!!!! Total lifesaver. I was starting to lament a bit at the prospect of not being able to use my laptop for a few days - it's kinda an extended part of me and my cognition, while at university anyway. Actually, since all my notes and files are on Evernote and Dropbox, I could still get most things done on public computers, but would have less flexibility with location and wouldn't be able to take lecture notes digitally. So it ended up really well!
  2. This video was so cute and made me laugh so much.
  3. Did some leisurely reading today!!! (While procrastinating on editing my mid-term) Started reading Stephen Batchelor's Confessions of a Buddhist Atheist, which is basically a memoir of his journey into Buddhism, and how he came to his current position on "Buddhism without Beliefs" (another book he wrote), a stripped-down, secular view of Buddhism as just a philosophy without any mysticism or beliefs about rebirth etc. I read that latter book and found it influential, so it was interesting to start reading about his journey.
What did I learn? 
  • You can top up your PennCard online and the cash goes in immediately. I thought it would take time, so was about to walk over to the library to top up my card for printing, but bumped into a friend who informed me otherwise.
  • My friend who sold me the charger mentioned that there is an app called Venmo that allows you to pay your friends. You can either link it to a card or just keep it as a virtual account that you use to make transactions between friends. Really useful for splitting bills, taxis, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment