Friday 28 March 2014

Day 78: Hallelujah

What went well? 

  1. Had a good lab meeting today. We got briefed on a new project - basically trying to make sense of all of the existing well-being measures that are out there, because there's so many, and some are better than others, and for different audiences. So we'll be compiling information on every measure out there that we can find.
  2. Went back to the gym after a week off for cold recovery.
  3. Had a good rehearsal with my duet partner for opera scenes.
  4. The review of meditation programs in schools that my mentor in Melbourne sent me a few days ago was really helpful for my paper.


What did I learn? 

  • The problem of not incentivising teaching in higher ed is quite a big one:
    • "Sometimes, after all, your teacher’s slides are copied from Wikipedia to begin with. A junior in biochemistry told me his professor occasionally had difficulty understanding his own slides. Curious, a fellow student copied a sentence into Google. On one tortuously precise and wordy slide four consecutive sentences came straight out of a paragraph in Wikipedia. They were made into bullet points for appearance’s sake, but content and order remained untouched."
  • A narrative about how Hallelujah rose to popularity. Found this interesting since this is the song I arranged, directed and sung for my school small house choir back in 2011, so it's one that's close to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment